Principal Data Scientist (Product)
NOTE: This role is remote-only, and you need to be living in, and have a right to work in, one of the following countries: USA, UK, Germany, France or Ireland. We are mostly based in the UK however, we have a small but growing team of Sales and Product staff in California.
Dotscience is a startup founded in 2017 and funded by DDN, the world’s largest privately-held storage company. Its mission is to build an end-to-end data science platform that holds AI accountable for its decision making.
We like to see ourselves as a very friendly and high-trust team. Because we are fully remote we are able to be flexible about parenting responsibilities and other things in life that need your attention. We co-ordinate once a day in a standup where we check in to say how things are going and tell jokes (it is part of our standup routine). The rest of the time we collaborate through GitHub, Slack, Google Hangouts and Google Docs.
The culture in the Product team is very collaborative and within the company all discussions are open by default. Everyone is listened to and nobody gets a special pass to push decisions through. You would be a fit for us if you care about how and why things work, product quality and user value. We would be a fit for you if you want a supportive, flexible, high-trust work environment where you are encouraged to grow your role at a pace to suit you.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced Data Scientist in the Bay Area who wants to take on a broader role as a Product Manager. You will use your experience in the industry to shape the development of our Data Science platform, to advise on the market and to promote the brand through thought leadership. You will be our go-to person for questions about data science and machine learning.
- Work with the team to:
- Develop a product which delivers specific value to users.
- Ensure the product is built to deliver a good user experience.
- Position the product advantageously in the market.
- Provide strategic input to product direction
- Work with the product, engineering and design functions to understand end-user requirements, and formulate use cases.
- Support Sales Engineer with specifiying user needs for client projects.
- Sense-check our user documentation.
- Prepare demos using our product and integrated products.
- Write content relating to current industry trends.
- Attend conferences to represent the company, staffing booths and giving talks (up to 20% international travel).
- Providing quotes to PR companies.
- At least degree-level education in Computer Science, Maths, Statistics or another quantitative subject area.
- Professional experience working as a Data Scientist or Machine Learning Engineer.
- Have worked on business-critical models deployed into production.
- Fluent Python plus experience with a number of ML frameworks e.g. Tensorflow, PyTorch, Caffee, SciKitLearn
- Experience or desire to start writing for blogs/other public platforms.
- Experience or desire to start speaking in public.
- Familiarity with big-data platforms such as Spark or Hadoop
- Knowledge of cloud technology
- Understanding of Docker
- ML for regulated industries
- Good communication and teamwork skills.
- A preference for being organised and dependable.
- Keen to learn and share knowledge.
- A tendency to question things, to be critical and enquiring.
- Comfortable with change and pragmatic decision making.
- Happy to work under time pressure occasionally.
- Able to manage own time.
- Know when to ask for help or input.
- Know when to give feedback to others.